Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ahhhh, the sea calls

Today I finally posted my post-survey form on the TAS training website. As I was filling out my post-survey many memories came back to me.

This week I presented my TAS experience at my local chapter of the Delta Kappa Gamma Society (an professional organization for teachers and retired teachers). I have been a member for three years and each year I have been able to present some kind of professional development that involves travel. The ladies enjoyed the presentation and I tried to encourage some to apply for the TAS program.

During the dinner portion I passed around my photo book that I created on a photo website. These can make great souvenirs and journals. If you would like to do a lot of journaling you will want to research the best photo book for you as the one I used had a limit to the amount of type that could go on a page.

During presentations, I tend to ramble on at times so I created a DVD with photos and video of my trip which I overlaid voice recordings to explain the footage. This kept my presentation under 20 minutes. It was very difficult to take 17 days of experiences and compress into that small amount of time. Afterwards I had a question and answer session.
One question that was asked, "Would you do it again?" My answer, "YES!!!!!" After I complete my Global Field Program in Zoology I would like to volunteer time with NOAA and their fisheries department. It is hard work, but the environmental stewardship and the opportunity to 'do science' is a wonderful experience.

I will be presenting my TAS experience again in February at the SECO (Science Education Council of Ohio) annual conference in Akron, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment